Please be advised of the following Library Schedules:
The Library will be CLOSED from
December 15, 2016 to January 7, 2017 (yearend housekeeping)
Library services will resume January 10, 2017.
Please be guided accordingly.
Thank you for your continued support!
6F Ayala Museum
Makati Ave. cor. De la Rosa St.
Tuesday to Saturday: 9 AM - 6 PM
Tel. No. - (632) 759-8288 loc 36
Fax (632) 759-8287
E-mail us at:
Filipinas Heritage Library and the Ayala Museum are part of the Arts and Culture Division of Ayala Foundation, Inc.
Click here to visit the Ayala Museum website:
Free wi-fi for Friends of FHL
August 8, 2006
In celebration of its 155th anniversary, the Bank of the Philippine Islands (BPI) launched BPI Express, a medium-sized banking branch that is smaller than standard branches, but bigger than kiosks. The launch was held on August 8, 2006, at the first BPI Express Branch in Sucat, Parañaque.
Aside from ATMs, this new branch featured phone banking and Internet banking facilities, situated right at the branch’s entrance, for maximum convenience. To aid first-time users, a BPI Express services counselor was also stationed at the branch.
Through these facilities, BPI Express is able to provide faster services evidenced by shorter and faster-moving lines at the teller. Moreover, it features a financial counseling zone, where clients can seek financial advice from branch officers and staff.
Today, BPI has about 700 branches and 1,600 ATMs nationwide.
July 11-17, 1997
On January 23, 1997, Ayala Corporation and its partners won the bid for the east zone concession of the Metropolitan Waterworks and Sewerage System. The Ayala-led consortium, which also included Bechtel Enterprises Inc., United Utilities Plc., and the Mitsubishi Corporation, Ayala formed what is now known as the Manila Water Company (MWC).
MWC had the exclusive right to distribute water, collect payment, and take charge of improving water and sewerage services in the east zone for a minimum period of 25 years. The operations of the east zone concession officially began on August 1, 1997, and covers the following areas: Makati, Pasig, Mandaluyong, Marikina, San Juan, and Taguig, and parts of Quezon City, Manila, Pateros, and Rizal Province.
Over the years, MWC has successfully and efficiently provided uninterrupted water and wastewater services to over 99 percent of the east zone’s 6.2 million residents. Because of its success in the east zone, MWC has also begun addressing the water and sewerage needs of people in such areas as Laguna, Pampanga, and Boracay. MWC has also strengthened its presence in Asia through projects in Vietnam and India.
June 20-26, 1834
An advertisement Destileria y Licoreria de Ayala y Compañia
Casa Roxas, a partnership between Domingo Roxas and Antonio de Ayala, founded the Destileria y Licoreria de Ayala y Compañia. This company was the forerunner of the Philippine chemical industry.
The distillery produced a variety of drinks including anis, anisette, cognac, rum, whisky—and its trademark gin, Ginebra San Miguel.
The Quiapo distillery plant was a major interest of the Ayala y Compañia until Carlos Palanca Sr. bought it on June 21, 1924 and renamed it La Tondeña.
In 1987, San Miguel Corporation bought a 70 percent stake in the company and renamed it La Toñeda Distillers Inc. Today, the company still dominates the local hard liquor market under the name Ginebra San Miguel Inc.
May 1, 1852
Banco Español Filipino de Isabel II, now Bank of the Philippine Islands, issued a bank note bearing serial number 0001 in its very first transaction. The discounted promissory note for P10,000—good for 90 days—was released for a Chinese named Taidan. A fellow Chinese named Valentin Guidoti was the one who endorsed him. Three days later, Fulgencio Barrera became the bank’s first voluntary depositor, after depositing P3,000.
Forty-six years later, the bank went through difficult times, brought about by The Battle of Manila Bay. It was on May 1, 1898, when Commodore George Dewey and the US Navy defeated the Spanish Fleet in a mock battle. In the days that followed the battle, the bank had to redeem in silver more than P1.8 million, or over one-third of its circulating notes.
Source: Colayco, Maria Teresa. A Tradition of Leadership: Bank of the Philippine Islands. Bank of the Philippine Islands. Manila: 1984.
Ayala Foundation, Inc.
Ayala Foundation Inc., one of the country’s leading corporate foundations, celebrates its 51st anniversary this March. The foundation, established under the name Filipinas Foundation in 1961, represents the Ayala group’s commitment to helping uplift the lives of Filipinos through programs in education, entrepreneurship, the environment, community development, and art, history, and culture.
Although official documents say that the foundation was incorporated by Col. Joseph McMIcking and Doña Mercedes Zobel-McMicking on December 14, 1961, AFI celebrates its anniversary every March 23, in honor of Col. McMicking, who was born on March 23, 1908.
Source: This Week in Ayala History: March 20-26
Page 1 of 5